By Furious Francis editor in chief
2013 is looking to be a massive year for the action genre. The List of action games is quite impressive, but were going to focus on four titles to be early runners for action game of the year. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Bayonetta 2, God of War Ascension, and Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 are all coming out in 2013 and have big name developers attached to them. Two of the four games on the list are developed by Platinum Games, so we know what genre they do best. We’re going to rank what games we think will be best in 2013 from 4th to 1st. Please comment on what you think. Which one of these games are you most excited for, and what game do you think will be the best?
4. God of War Ascension – Sony/Sony Santa Monica – PS3 Exclusive
– God of War ended on a bit of a whimper but that doesn’t mean the team can’t reinvent Kratos, which they are trying to do. God of War Ascension is a prequel to the epic trilogy that spanned the PS2 to PS3. One of the new things Sony has added to the game is multi-player, which is kind of the reason this game lands 4th on our list. Multi-player takes time, resources, creative juices away from the single-player. We can’t help but feel God of War’s single-player might not be as lengthy or impressive as the other games on the list because of the time and resources it takes to make multi-player. Were not saying God of War Ascension’s multi-player or single-player is bad, we’re just worried about the Mass Effect 3 type affect the multi-player can have on the single-player. The God of War franchise also needs to sure up its combo system. To many times square, square, triangle can get you through most of the game. And this is even on the harder difficulties.
3. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance – Konami/Platinum Games – Xbox 360, PS3
– This was a tough decision, it was picking between Joe Montana, Tom Brady, or Steve Young. Metal Gear Rising plays like a dream. The controls are intuitive, the action is fast paced, and the graphics are top notch for the amount of craziness that is ensuing on screen. The ONLY reason Metal Gear Rising is 3rd on our list is because the game is a new IP. However, I would not be the least bit surprised if Metal Gear Rising ends up being the best game out of the four.
2. Bayonetta 2 – Platinum Games – Nintendo/Platinum Games- Wii U Exclusive
– Once again, another very very very difficult decsion. Bayonetta 1 was nothing short of spectacular. The gameplay took the action genre to a new level. The depth, range of skills, weapons, and combos at your disposal were unparalled at the time. Bayonetta innovated on so many levels as well. The Dodge Off Set, where you could start a combo, dodge, then pick up right where you left off was amazing. The ability for weapons to be equipped to your hands and feet, then have different moves based on where you equip it, varied up the gameplay like no other action game has done. I love Bayonetta, and Bayonetta 2 could very well be the best action game ever created, but the story and lore of Bayonetta were weak and Bayonetta 2 might very well fall in that line.
1. Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 – Konami/MercurySteam – Xbox 360, PS3, PC
– Castlevania Lords of Shadow was the most successful Castlevania games, sales wise, in the franchises history. Castlevania Lords of Shadow had the full package: Good graphics, skill based gameplay, a huge campaign that spans 2 Xbox 360 discs, and by far the best story out of any of these games. Fans are chomping at the bit to finally play as Dracula. To see his side, his story.These are all questions MercurySteam has promised to answer as they plan on wrapping up the series with Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2. The teaser trailer even left more questions with what looked like Alucard facing off against Gabriel. Castlevania is only game on this list that proved its story can match how good the gameplay is, and that’s why we have Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 as the number one action game on our list.
We even left off DmC Devil May Cry and the Wonderful 101 off this list. 2013 is shaping up to the best year for action games since 2010.
All of these games can be anywhere on this list, and there is still major gameplay details missing from each of these titles. But we want to know what you guys think. Comment below, state your reasons, be a part of the community. Use the comment section below. If you haven’t registered on Playeressence please do so.
One more thing…….Check out all the new content on Playeressence.com!
Join the forums, check out our original shows, ‘like us’ on Facebook, Subscribe on YouTube, check out our popular opinion articles and be a part of a growing community of hardcore gamers. Follow the links or use the social media icons on the right sidebar to sign up for all of our social networks if you haven’t already done so. Thank you for the continued support and dedication to all things Playeressence.